Saturday, September 22, 2012



Crummel, Susan Stevens. (2003). All in one hour. Tarrytown, NY: Marshal Cavendish.

In a rhythmic pattern similar to "The House That Jack Built," a mouse leads a wild chase through a town as the minutes tick by. From 6 o’clock a.m. to 7 o’clock a.m., various animals, a dogcatcher, a robber, and a policeman join the chase. Just before the hour is up, a slippery encounter with a pile of banana peels sends everyone home.  (Amazon.com)

I thought this might be just a boring telling time book when I first picked it out to read. But the illustrations are very creative and intriguing, making you linger over each page to not miss a single item. While reading the text I was caught up in the action of what happened so that the time issue was forgotten. If I read this to younger students I probably would read it twice--once for entertainment and then again to capture the time element. I think this would be a good book for story time as the pictures lend themselves to a lot of discussion as does the story line.

No comments:

Post a Comment