Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Little Women

Alcott, L. (1868). Little Women. Boston: Roberts Brothers.

On the Challenged book list

Little Women

 
Like most women my age, when they were younger they read Little Women and most likely, Little Men. I not only read it, I still have the copy that I was given when I first read it in elementary school. So with that thought, I decided to revisit an old friend. Even though many years have passed, age has not diminished the enjoyment I remembered of learning about all of the March sisters and their blessings and burdens. I still cried when Beth died, even though I knew it was coming, and rejoiced when Jo found her soul mate in the Professor. Little Women, like Charlotte’s Web is an endearing classic that helps readers relate to themes that are familiar to them such as friendship and family. So with these thoughts, I was curious as to why Little Women was on the challenged list of books. I discovered that some feminist groups thought the book “diminished young women, played-up the “weaker sex” mentality and failed to empower girls to sculpt their dreams”. (Morton, 2004) I find it incredible that someone would find that element in this book as Jo struck out on her own during a time when women had no vote and were thought of as property. Thank goodness the book has survived and is still around to be enjoyed despite those who think otherwise.

A Woman’s Place. (2004).  Donna Morton. The Christian Woman. Retrieved 2 July 2011, from http://www.thechristianwoman.com/christian-women-topics/a-womans-place.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment